June 22, 2011

The Pieces of Me Collection by LMG Design

Tell us your name, the name of your shop and what it is that you do here on Etsy.
My name is Lisa and my Etsy shop is The Pieces of Me Collection by LMG design.
It features unique creations from my studio including art, beaded items and recycled puzzle piece jewelry.

What is your family life like? (i.e. how many children, their ages, names, are you a single mom? Are they supportive of what they do and so forth?)
I am happily married with a very supportive husband who met me in college and understands my creative side.
We have three children ages 10, 8 and 5.

Do you have another job outside of Etsy and outside of the home?
I am a working illustrator and graphic designer.

How do you balance home life, Etsy and work?
It is not always easy. Family comes first and that makes being a working artist a little more of a challenge. When I am on a strict deadline for a project, I do explain to the kids that I may need more studio time than usual. It certainly means working 7 days a week at all hours, but I do it so that I can have as close to a balanced life as possible between family and studio.
My Etsy store is a wonderful "side job" for me and it lets me really flex my creative muscles, which I LOVE! I do try to set aside at least one day a month to focus on production for my Etsy shop, or photographing work so that I can list a several pieces a week. That is the intention at least.

What made you decide to sell on Etsy?
I had a surplus of pieces from my studio and was getting a lot of comments on items that I had made for teachers, friends, family. I decided to just give it a go, and so here I am... several years later and still meeting some wonderful people in the process.

Do you feel pretty successful in your Etsy shop or is there room to grow? If you feel successful is there a secret you'd like to share with us?
I think there is always room to grow. For me it is about pushing myself creatively and seeing what I can do with a medium. Recycled art is another really wonderful way of exploring as an artist, so I would like to continue in this direction.

What do you feel makes your shop special and unique?
I would say it is the fact that you will never find the same thing twice. I don't follow a pattern with my work but really create things that might match my mood for that time in the studio or based on a beautiful gemstone, or some new brushes that I want to play with. So, in that sense my shop is truly unique in that pieces are really, really, original. When its gone, its gone! I also think that my recycled puzzle piece art charms are very special. People react to them for different reasons, but they are what I get the most comments on and requests for.


As Mom's, things get chaotic and find it hard to stay focused, how do you stay focused and motivated?
Yes, life of a Mom, is ever-changing, and just like any other working Mom, I am easily effected by "Mommy Guilt". When I feel the pressure of my schedule or am disappointed that I didnt have time in the studio that day because it was spent in the car shuttling kids around, I do my best to let it go and focus on when I will have time. It may mean understanding that creative time won't come for a few days, but realizing that I do need to make the time for it and myself. Going for a walk, playing outside, getting to yoga, all those things help me de-stress and refocus. Same thing with motivation, sometimes it is just about putting on some music that will get you up and moving to make me feel refreshed and ready to start/finish a project. Understand your limits, push those negative thoughts out of your head, and just get back to what makes you happy.

Is there anything else you'd like the readers to know?
If you believe in what you are doing, whether it is painting, knitting, sewing, etc... then keep at going and don't give up. Set realistic goals for yourself, have a plan in mind for your Etsy shop. Is this a hobby for you, a part-time gig or do you want to make it your everything. Once you decide what you want to do, keep at it and don't give up. Stay positive and keep plugging away until you reach your goal.

5 comments: